Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

How do I use the internet?

I use the internet for nearly everything in my personal life, as well as my professional life. My smart phone is always available whether I want to look up the meaning of a word on google, listen to the radio, instagram pictures of my dog, read an ebook, or on rare occasion make a phone call. It is my personal assistant, my alarm clock, my watch, my navigator, but without the internet it would just be a phone.

For my 83-year-old grandmother, a phone is just a phone. She has a flip phone that family can call her on but still uses her home phone for most communication. In fact, the voicemail on her cell phone is my voice, because I set it up for her when she got it four years ago. My grandmother's internet use is restricted to checking email and buying ebooks, which she does on her computer and her Kindle respectively.

The 58 year difference in our ages means that we go about many things in life differently but especially our internet use. Not only do I rely the internet for personal use, but I work as a communications coordinator handling social media and websites for the Maternal Health Task Force. Thus, I use the internet all day every day. Since jobs like mine didn't exist while my grandmother was working, it's difficult for her to understand what it is I actually do all day. The internet daily connects me with people all over the world; however, it has created a gap in communication for me and my grandmother.

Prompt for this blog (1): How do you use the Internet? How does your Internet use compare to some other person in your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment